Align People Strategies to Expedite Strategy Execution
People Strategy Key Objective: The availability of skills, talent and know-how to deliver results required by the strategy.
Key People Strategies:
- What is the culture (values) we need to have to achieve better performance in our measures of competitive advantage (industry critical success factors)? How do we want people to behave in the future so that we get better results than we do today? For high growth companies, the values of customer focus, innovation and being results driven are critical to expedite strategy execution.
- Identify strategic job families that have the greatest impact on the strategy, based on internal processes. Research studies indicate that the success of the company strategy is determined by how well the company develops competencies in less than 10 percent of the workforce.
- Leadership development and succession planning. The availability of qualified leaders at all levels to focus on strategy. Common leadership development approaches include programs in the areas of coaching, mentoring, executive coaching, and internal and external executive education programs.
- People management. Recruitment, retention, promotions, transfers, outplacement, and training and development.
- Performance management. Alignment of goals and incentives with the strategy.
- Internal communications and information systems. Alignment of communication strategies and information systems to enable people strategies.
- Organization structure and role clarity. Strategy drives structure and role clarity to ensure that all employees are strategically focused and to avoid role conflict.
- Teamwork. Sharing of knowledge and eliminating functional silos and bureaucracy to enable the strategy.