How to Speak Like a CEO
Book reference: Speak Like a CEO: Secrets for Commanding Attention and Getting Results by Suzanne Bates. Please click here to learn more.
Communication is the number one leadership improvement opportunity for CEOs (based on a survey of 100 Top Executives in Canada).
Premise: All leaders must communicate effectively to deliver results.
Here are ten key strategies to enhance your ability to communicate effectively to your key stakeholders:
- Understand your audience.
- Start with the ideal outcomes.
- Identify your one-sentence point of view.
- Structure your presentation.
• Strong opening
• State point of view
• Share your roadmap
• Identify “Key Points” that support your “Point of View. (use stories, statistics, examples, and case studies to support each “key point”)
• Review your content
• Take questions
• Strong Close that is linked to the opening
- Create an emotional connection. Emotions make people act. Logic makes people think.
• Eye contact
• High You/I ratio (focus your language on what’s in it for you)
• Tell relevant stories (not jokes)
- Pause to let the audience ponder.
- Eliminate filler words through self-awareness.
- Use punch-words.
- Always have a strong opening and closing that are tied together.
- Focus on the audience NOT the technology to create an emotional connection.