- Nine out of 10 directors think their boards are doing a good job. Their CEOs think only one director in five is effective. Who is right?
- CEO-Board Dynamics is a key challenge for most companies due to the changing nature of the role of boards and the lack of role clarity.
- Premise: All CEOs and executives must learn how to work effectively with Boards to deliver greater results.
Book Recommendation: Owning Up: 14 Questions All Board Members Should Know by Ram Charan
Here are the Top Ten Improvement Opportunities:
- How to keep boards out of operational issues
- Practical steps to build relationships between board and management
- Most executives don’t understand what board members want (see Owning Up by Ram Charan)
- How to look for good people to put on boards
- What role should management play in board recruiting
- How far should management go in encouraging board development
- What is appropriate training for board members
- How to get people off boards
- Best practices in board evaluation of senior management and board evaluation in general
- How to ensure really effective communication between the board and the CEO